Doxide is a documentation generator for C++.
- It is configured with YAML, generates Markdown, and publishes HTML with a modern look and responsive design for desktop and mobile devices.
- It is open source under an Apache 2.0 license, and runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- It is written in C++ so that its primary users, C++ developers, can readily contribute.
- C++ source code is documented with
/** comments */containing
@commands, as with the classic tool Doxygen. Many commands from Doxygen are already supported.
- C++ source code is parsed with Tree-sitter, the same parser used by many syntax highlighters.
By generating Markdown, Doxide opens C++ documentation to the whole wide world of static site generation tools and themes. There is particular support for MkDocs and the Material for MkDocs theme, as on the Doxide website. A little extra effort enables alternatives such as Jekyll and Hugo. Other formats such as PDF are possible too, via Pandoc.
This is all very new, a humble attempt to modernize documentation for the C++ community. Further features will come, but feedback is sought and contributions very welcome. See the GitHub repository to report an issue or contribute a bug fix or feature, or contact Lawrence Murray ( ).